Be careful what you ask for

At 14 years old, turning 15 in July, Jordan stands at about 5'4½" and has put on more weight in the past month. He is roughly 117 pounds and his face is filling out. He definitely is not the scrawny little guy he used to be a little over a year ago before he started the new protocol he is on. I'm thankful it has allowed his body to get the nutrients it should from the GAPS diet he is on. It is doing a little more than half of the job I need it to.

That is because he is only on 66% of the protocol. He still has not been able to take the EPA/DHA oil because of his reaction. I had been under the impression that allergies and gastrointestinal issues were two different things. But they are pretty much the same. Allergies come when the body has an adverse immune response to a food protein. Intolerances are when you have bloating or diarrhea after something like dairy. Jordan seems to have an intolerance to many foods, but his reactions are very different. They affect the way he acts. He becomes very disruptive, destructive and hyper. Allergies can be more serious than intolerances because the digestive tract is the first to come into contact with the food so it is where the reaction will originate.

Jordan has only had an allergic reaction to two things. One was a shot that made is entire thigh swell and become hot to the touch. The other I believe was pollen. One summer day the whites of his eyes became swollen and yellow. It was the weirdest thing I had ever seen. But never saw again, thank God. We have been working to resolve his intolerances with the LDA treatment so I thought. However, he has had 3 and is still having issues when getting food he should not have. But because food intolerances/allergies and the GI system are linked, I think it requires more work and we are going in for our 4th shot mid-March. If he has as much damage to his system as I am thinking, we may need to do more. Especially if his intolerance is with foods high in histamine. I have read that leftovers and bone broth are things that you should avoid when on an anti-histamine diet. I make Jordan a large pot of soup from two chickens and bake a whole chicken so he's not eating soup all the time. If these are things he needs to avoid, and all other foods give him an issue, I don't know how we are going to overcome this being as though it is something he has to avoid the day before, the day of and day after the shot. *sigh*. That will be something we will have to sort out come next doctor's appointment. Next subject.

Jordan went to church with me last Sunday because he didn't get to go to the store with me and it caused him to act up while I was gone. I promised him I would take him to church with me the next day. When there he saw we had pretzels and it caused him to have a fit when normally he doesn't. I thought it might be a good time to see where he stands with foods outside his diet. Mistake. Since they were out of school Monday I thought he would be okay for school Tuesday. He was not. I was called to get him and he has been suspended for two days.

When I think of children in the Autism or CRI program, I don't think of kids who get suspended. When I think suspension, I think of children who are typical and get into fights or disrespect the teacher. I am not in all special needs households or in the school setting so I don't know what happens to children in these programs when they do not follow the rules. This was the first for me. I'm sure it is more common typical children get suspended than those who are atypical. For Jordan to fall in this category is showing me to be careful what I ask for. A typical child comes with typical actions. Disruptive behaviors will get you punished. I'm not happy that this has occurred, however, I am praising. Romans 5:3-4, "And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope." See also Romans 8:28-29Psalm 50:151 Thes. 5:16-18.

I could really go on and on about this, but because of God's word in Mark 9 says what it does, I know I must believe and because I believe I, must endure. I can't look at what I see as a negative. I must see the deeper picture. Not that Jordan is becoming typical, but these may be the kinds of things I will see when he does.



Comments

Popular Posts