Random

As I sit here this afternoon after a day full of completing spreadsheets for a church event, dealing with GAP paperwork for my totaled car, cleaning out emails and reaching out to ladies I will oversee in my next DDS class; I am watching Jordan as he does his usual task after school.

He sits on the couch with his tablet watching a multitude of videos. His tics still occurring, but far and few in-between. While I am looking at him, I think to myself, when he jerks it's out of his control. I see where the LDA has somewhat helped with it. We have at the most 3 more doses to go through. But the improvement seen already is great. I can't imagine seeing these things going on with him, and not wanting to do anything to fix it.

There are some children with Autism or other disabilities that a tic disorder is prominent in their lives. Some don't have it or outward physical traits of a disability. But that doesn't me that they don't have an issue that needs to be resolved.

I have just started to say that Jordan is verbal and high functioning. After a meeting with his DDA worker, she explained to me that him being toilet trained, being able to tie his shoe and get dressed on his own qualifies as him being high functioning. And even though he can't converse with me as my other children, he can tell me when he needs or wants something. But what about those that can't?

I work with a lot of different special needs children. A couple of them who I encounter are hard of hearing. And while I know that kind of disability can't be fixed, those who are delayed developmentally or have Autism or paralyzing ADHD, I believe can be.

Over the years of treating Jordan, some things I have done have worked to help him become better and some haven't. I know I never thought he would be able to do a lot of the things he does now, even talking. But he does. I can't say positively without a doubt these things wouldn't have come with age, but I also can't say that holistically treating him hasn't played a part either.

I shouldn't speak for Jordan but deep in my heart, I think he wants to communicate with us more. He comes up to us at random times talking about our old cat Maui or asking for some food he wants that he can't have. Many times he is misunderstood by almost everyone in the house. I'm pretty sure he would like for everyone to know what he is saying. Not to mention be able to eat the foods he wants without consequences.

So I don't go through everything I do for me to have a neurotypical son. I do it for him to have the best quality of life he can. To be able to converse with everyone he encounters, to eat the foods he desires, to have friends to play with, to control his muscles, understand dangers and everything else that limits him.

It doesn't matter that I may be frowned upon because of my passion to "change" who he is. The New Living Translation version of this Bible verse says it best for me; Romans 12:2 "Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect."

Comments

Popular Posts